Chisinau, Moldova - Moldovan police say they are investigating the case of a six-week-old baby who died minutes after his baptism, apparently due to having inhaled water during the ceremony.
The baby's relatives say he died after gulping water during his baptism on Friday in a Moldovan village.
In the Orthodox Christian religion, babies are baptized by being briefly immersed three times in water. Priests hold the infant's mouths and noses.
Film shot by relatives shows the baby moving after being taken out of the font, but then suffering difficulty breathing as he is dressed. Twenty minutes later, he started bleeding from his nose and mouth and died.
Church spokeswoman Epistimia Goncearenco said Tuesday the priest who performed the baptism is being investigated for manslaughter.