Mungiki leaders meet UN investigators

Nairobi, Kenya - The United Nations special team investigating alleged killings by police have met Mungiki sect leaders.

A spokesman of the banned sect on Sunday claimed police have killed more than 1,000 youths since a crackdown on the movement began in June 2006.

Mr Njuguna Gitau took a group of about 200 women, who claimed to be widows, to give evidence to the UN officials at the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights offices in Nairobi.

"The list we have is the one we can claim as evidence, because relatives say they saw their loved ones being arrested before they went missing or their bodies were found dumped in thickets," said Gitau.

Final report

Some of the women said they had not traced the bodies of their missing kin for burial. They said no one in Government was willing to explain the circumstances under which the men died or went missing.

"All I know is that the police played a role in the death of my husband and I want action staken against them," said one of the widows.

Some had pictures of their kin.

The UN Special Rapporteur, Prof Philip Alston, was in Nyeri yesterday to receive evidence over the alleged killings, while his officials were in Nairobi.

Alston said his final report on the findings would be ready in June, but an interim one will be complete by Wednesday.

He said he would give the report to Government, the UN and the international community.

"The final and detailed report on the findings of my investigation will be ready in June," Alston said in Kisumu, at the weekend.

Brutal killings

"The international community was concerned about brutal killings in the country and wanted the report to ascertain the truth behind the executions," he added.

He said he would outline recommendations to end a repeat of such incidents.

He declined to describe his findings, saying he would compare reports from the Government authorities and residents before compiling his own.

Shot dead

Nyanza Province was worst hit by police killings during the post-election violence. Kisumu town bore the brunt of police brutality, with more than 100 people reportedly shot dead.